Station House has been around for over 100 years. The cottage sits in the heart of the village of Greenisland which is named after an islet nearby in Belfast Lough.
Originally called Carrickfergus Junction, the station opened in 1848. It was renamed Greenisland Station in 1893. It was once a larger station and, unusually, trains would reverse at Greenisland on their way to the North West. Steam trains can still been seen rushing past on the railway line right outside Station House during holidays. A particular favourite is the Christmas steam train but an early booking is essential as they always sell out!
More information about Greenisland station and the history of the Northern Irish railway in general can be found on the ‘Railway Preservation Society Of Ireland’ website.
Station House was converted to a semi-detached cottage in the 1950s. It has had many owners over the years. Memories of a talking Parrot that once lived with its owner in Station House and would converse with passers by while perched in the hedge have become the stuff of legend to the older residents of Greenisland.
If you are staying for a day or a week, Station House will soon feel more like home than a house. On cold winter’s nights there is nothing better than sitting beside a fire that is crackling away in the original open fireplace. On warm summer evenings the large enclosed garden with patio is perfect for summer parties.